CouchDB is a database designed to run on the internet of today. We´ll have a very quick look at CouchDB´s bare-bones Application Programming Interface (API) by using the command-line utility curl. Please note that this is not the only way of talking to CouchDB.
Major Benefits of CouchDB
- JSON Documents - Everything stored in CouchDB boils down to a JSON document.
- RESTful Interface - From creation to replication to data insertion, every management and data task in CouchDB can be done via HTTP.
- N-Master Replication - You can make use of an unlimited amount of 'masters', making for some very interesting replication topologies.
- Built for Offline - CouchDB can replicate to devices (like Android phones) that can go offline and handle data sync for you when the device is back online.
- Replication Filters - You can filter precisely the data you wish to replicate to different nodes.